Promo codes can be used to offer discounts on tickets to your customers. They can be used across all your events, limited to specific events, or limited to specific tickets within an event.
The Promo Code creation process consists of 3 simple steps:
- Select your Promo Type
- Configure your Promo Code Details
- Set up any Constraints or Limitations
There are 3 different types of Promo Codes you can create. You will be presented with different options during step 3 depending on the type of Promo Code you select here.
- Applies to any ticket purchased
- Restricted to specified events
- Restricted to specified tickets
After selecting your Promo Type you will be presented with the details. This contains basic information about your Promo Code.
- Name - name your Promo Code something specific that distinguishes exactly what it is (i.e. Holiday Special, 18-19 Season Discount, Half Off Friday, etc.).
- Promo Code - this is the actual code that customers will enter to receive the discount.
- Discount Type - select the type of discount you want. It can be a percent off, dollar off, or comp. Remember this is an amount off per ticket. If comp is selected, the ticket is free and there is no ticket fee.
- Amount - designate the amount of the discount (see options below).
- Start Date/Time - this will default to the current time. If you don’t want this Promo Code to start yet set it to a future date.
- End Date/Time - this is an optional field. Set an expiration date or leave blank and the Promo Code will never expire.
Constraints allow you to implement usage limits or restrictions to your Promo Code. This gives you control over the maximum amount of revenue that could be given away with the Promo Code.
If you enter a Total Tickets Limit your Promo Code will no longer be valid once the limit is hit.
This is an optional field that can be left blank for unlimited use.
You will always see usage limits for any promo type you create. However, if you select to restrict the promo code to specific events or tickets, you will see additional options here.
If you selected to restrict your Promo Code to specific events in Step 1, you will be presented with a list of all upcoming events. Here you can search and select the events you want this promo code to apply to. This is an ‘or’ search, meaning that if you enter multiple search terms you are search for term 1 or term 2 or term 3. This will display results that match any of your search terms.
If you selected to restrict your Promo Code to specific tickets in Step 1, you will be presented with a list of all upcoming events and all available ticket types within each of those events. Once again, you can search and select the tickets you want this Promo Code to apply to.
Promo codes are a great way to drive ticket sales for your event, but keep in mind, you don’t want to give away too many discounts!
For guidance on the information and controls presented in the Promo Codes List checkout our related article, Understanding the Promo Code List.